University Children’s Hospital was founded in 1924, under the leadership of Professor Franc Gröer, an eminent pediatrician from famous Vienna’s Pediatric School. In 1926 Professor Matija Ambrozic, also the student of Vienna’s Pediatric School, became the director and started revolution of pediatric health care in Serbia. His mission was to unite curative, preventive and social pediatric health care in one institution.
During the first three years, University Children’s Hospital was placed in the private house in Kneza Milosa Street, including three rooms: pediatric ambulance, laboratory and library. In that period lectures were held in amphitheatres of other institutions. In 1928 hospital was moved into the new house, the property of Institute of health care for mothers and children. Hospital included pediatric ambulance, three doctors’ rooms, room for radiology, library, classroom and three rooms with 25 beds for patients. In the next few years, Professor Matija Ambrozic with his colleagues (MD Smilja Kostic-Joksic, MD Uros Ruzicic, MD Milivoje Sarvan, MD Jovanka Zujovic, MD Borivoj Tasovac, MD Zika Markovic, MD Vlastimir Ivkovic and MD Stanija Pavlovic) succeed his goal.
First surgery department was established in 1924, as a part of General Hospital, under the leadership of MD Dimitrije Jovicic, who was the student of French Medical School and first pediatric surgeon in Serbia. Professor Matija Ambrozic was aware that pediatrics and pediatric surgery need to develop together, under one roof. Thanks to his effort, on October 10th 1936 building of new hospital was started in Tirsova Street No 10, with Decree of King Petar II Karadjoredjevic and with The highest protection from Queen Marija. Architect Milan Zlokovic planed construction, according to the Children’s Hospital in Paris and highest European standards of that time. The construction was finished in 1940. Hospital included 180 beds, 80 intended for surgery patients.
Unfortunately, further development of our hospital was stopped by The Second World War. During the war building was damaged. Despite of all these problems, Hospital was working, treating sick children during the whole period of war.
After The Second World War, hospital was repaired, and under the leadership of Professor Matija Ambrozic continued further developing. Number of beds was increased, clinical pharmacy, hematological, biochemical and microbiological laboratory were founded. Radiology cabinet and hospital kitchen were repaired. In 1947, according to earlier plan, Clinic for pediatric surgery was moved to the building of Clinics of pediatrics, and for the first time in history of Serbian medicine, pediatrics and pediatric surgery were under one roof. Director of Pediatric surgery was Professor Dimitrije Jovicic. Next year, pediatric surgery was included in regular program of Medical school University of Belgrade.
In the next decades University Children’s Hospital has been developing in order to remain the forefront of pediatrics clinical care, research, and academic training. It is the main pediatric hospital associated with Medical School of Belgrade University.
According to the guiding principles that have inspired generations of physicians, nurses and other professionals to provide the best care for sick and injured children, University Children’s Hospital continues to follow the mission of our founder:
• Providing the highest quality health care
• Being the leading source of scientific research
• Educating the following generations of leaders in child health
• Enhancing the health and well-being of the children and families in our community